November 07, 2016
Sauce Vierge is a French sauce meaning Virgin Sauce because it is so light, fresh, and delicate. This sauce also goes nicely with any white flaky fish or scallops or even pan seared chicken. Perfect for a light dinner after a heavy or late lunch. Served with a blood orange and shaved fennel salad drizzled with EVOO and a squeeze of fresh grapefruit juice, a slice of warm herbed focaccia, well…you’ll have a wonderful dinner. And think about it – a Bailey’s dinner with zero butter. Wonders never cease.
Vierge is pronounced: V-edge – let it slide off your tongue.
SEABASS SEASONING INGREDIENTS
- 2 skinless seabass
- 2 star anise
- ½ teaspoon white or blended peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Combine all dry ingredients in a coffee grinder (one just used for spices not coffee), grind until a powder is formed. Rub both sides of fish with EVOO and sprinkle with spice rub on both sides.
SAUCE VIERGE INGREDIENTS
- 2 large yellow tomatoes – peeled, seeded, chopped (if you can’t find yellow, use red)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped Italian flatleaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 2 cloves finely minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- OPTIONAL: 3 coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons EVOO
Pan-sear seasoned seabass in a pre-heated saute pan on medium high heat with a tablespoon EVOO. Depending on the thickness – around a minute to 2 minutes on each side. Set aside.
Lower heat to medium and add EVOO and lemon juice to the pan and stir with wooden spoon until all brown bits are incorporated. Add remaining ingredients and stir until well combined and to heat but not break up tomatoes. You are cooking the sauce briefly – just for a minute or so, just bringing it together until it is hot – season with salt and freshly ground peppercorns to taste.
Place braised spinach in center of plate, top with seabass, and ladle sauce over top. Serve with a blood orange and shaved fennel salad – Enjoy!