May 11, 2017
This incredible buttermilk gateau will quickly become a family and friend favorite. Perfect for any holiday or special occasion. It is much more than a cake covered in strawberries and whipped cream – each layer is laced with a delicious strawberry couli made with a hint of Grand Marnier, making each bite a moist and delicious taste experience.
It is also delicious made with fresh peaches – when they are in season (June 1st through the end of August), or even raspberries and blackberries or a combination of all the fruits. Let your desired palate be your guide.
- 2 sticks room temperature salted butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 4 extra large eggs (room temperature)
- 1 ½ teaspoons real vanilla extract
- 1 cup Marburger buttermilk (room temperature)
Makes 2 – 10” rounds – of which you will only use one of the rounds so freeze the other for future use (when the cake has cooled, triple wrap in plastic wrap and freeze)
- Pre-heat oven to 350
- Spray or butter (or Crisco) and flour 2 – 10” cake pans
- Sift Dry Ingredients – set aside
In a stand mixer, cream butter and sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat on medium high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes to cream and fluff. Alternate flour mixture and buttermilk/vanilla, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Do not over beat for that will produce a tough cake.
Place equal amount of batter in cake pans. Slam individual pans on counter twice and swirl…this will eliminate bubbles forming in cake. Place on rack in center of the oven. Set timer for 15 minutes, and rotate pans when timer goes off. Set timer for 10 minutes…then 3 to 5 minutes thereafter. Cake is done when sides pulls away from the pan or when toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cake.
Place on cooling racks for 10 minutes. Remove cakes and let cool completely. Wrap and freeze the layer not using. Perfect for a Boston Cream Pie or ice with your favorite chocolate of vanilla buttercream.
- 5 cups fresh bright red and ripe strawberries (cut in quarters)
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional – but I like it)
Place strawberries, sugar and Grand Marnier in food processor and process until liquified
STEP THREE – Sliced Strawberries
Slice in rounds or length-wise
STEP FOUR – Whipped Cream
- 1 quart whipping cream
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
Place whipping cream in stand mixer with the whip attachment and turn on medium high until beginning to thicken, add vanilla and slowly add sugar until well incorporated. Beat until cream is thick. Do not over mix.
STEP FIVE – Assembling Cake
- It is best if you place the cake on a 10” cardboard cake round which can be purchased at Michaels
- With a large serrated bread knife, cut one layer of the cake in half and hold on cake round – cut side up
- Spoon about ¾ cup strawberry couli on cake
- Layer with sliced strawberries
- Spread approximately 2 cups whipped cream on top of strawberries
- Place second cake layer cut side up on whipped cream layered cake and repeat with couli and sliced strawberries
- Ice the entire cake (top and sides) with the remaining whipped cream. Place in cake pan and refrigerate up to 24 hours
- Each slice of cake should be served chilled with a drizzle of the strawberry couli